Diesel Electric Locomotive #52
Engine #52 is the most recent addition to our stable. #52 was built by the Vulcan Iron Works in Wilkes-Berry Pennsylvania in 1953. It is a 65ton center cab diesel electric locomotive. #52 was built for Pennsylvania Power and Light in 1953 as their number 3347. Last in service at PP&L at their Martins Creek, PA location, the locomotive became surplus to them after that plant was converted from coal to natural gas. #52 is somewhat rare as locomotives go, since the Vulcan Iron works only constructed 54 diesel locomotives over 25tons. #52 was purchased by the WGHSEA in December of 2010. #52 is used as a backup for #643, and also will operate as primary passenger power on certain dates. #52 is available to be run by the general public as part of our Run a Locomotive program.
Diesel Mechanical #8
Engine #8 was built by the Whitcomb Locomotive Company in 1953. It is a class 25DM diesel mechanical locomotive. #8 was among the last locomotives built under the Whitcomb name. Whitcomb, long a division of the Baldwin Locomotive Works, ceased production of locomotives under their own name in December of 1953. Built for Pennsylvania Power and Light as their number #E129. At one point #8 was setup for radio control, although this system has long since been removed. E129 was purchased by the Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine Association in the 1980’s and renumbered to #8. #8 is used mainly for switching and track work, but does see limited use in passenger service. From 2001-2006 #8 was our primary locomotive while our steam locomotive #643, was out of service. In the 1990s #8 received an extensive rebuild that included the installation of a larger more powerful Cummins diesel engine that replaced the original Caterpillar.